Workshop Fit for 55: Preparing the Maritime sector
Curious what you can do to lead the way to Fit for 55?
This workshop provides an innovation and knowledge sharing session to inform the sector on how to become Fit for 55. studio Gear Up will present their analysis on the required renewable fuel volumes (EU-wide and per company), mitigated GHG emissions as well as interactions between different legislative proposals in this workshop. We also explore explore the cost of non-compliance of these two fleets.
The online workshop took place on November 4, 2021, from 10:00 – 12:00 CET. It followed the schedule below:
- 10.00 - 10:15 Welcome & Introduction by Loes Knotter
- 10:15 - 11:00 Analysis and Q&A by Lisa Mulder and Mark Bunse
- 11:00 - 11:10 Break
- 11:10 - 11:20 Fuel supply chains by Port of Rotterdam
- 11:20 - 11:30 Pooling mechanism by KNVR
- 11:30 - 11:40 Ramping up renewable fuel supplies by GoodFuels
- 11:40 - 11:55 Open discussion
- 11:55 - 12:00 Wrap-up by Loes Knotter
In this post, you can find a summary of the workshop and given presentations. Some insights are given below:
The Platform feels committed to advance knowledge and insights with sector players on how to comply with the new set of regulation.
- The Fit for 55 package will impact the sector from 2025 onwards
- Usage of fossil fuels will be penalised and more expensive as we have shown with the penalty of FuelEU Maritime, ETS price and taxation
- Renewable fuels will become cost competitive and are in general less expensive than paying the penalty
- Penalty will increase over the years
- However, renewable fuel volumes need to be ramped-up
- If growing demand of renewable fuels is not met by growing supply, prices of renewable fuels will rise
- It will be in the sector’s interest to already start preparing to have access to sufficient options